Monday 6 February 2012

Client Centred Working

This afternoon I went to visit a local brain injury service that I would have been going to on placement if it were not for some circumstances.

I found it very interesting, and not only because I'm a bit of a Neuro Geek, the service seemed to represent everything that we are taught about in uni. One of the biggest things we are taught from day one is that OT is client centred and I'm not saying that it is anyone's fault but unfortunately some services are not always as client centred as they could be. In a busy hospital setting the need for client centred-ness is often overlooked by the medical model and the need to clear beds. Of OT's that I know working in this setting, they really do try their best to make their practice as good as it can be for the clients but it just isn't always practical.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but I'd like to think I'm being realistic in my opinion of the differences between theoretical OT and practical OT. There are so many examples of fantastic individuals who really champion the cause of OT and the need to be client centred, and I am very grateful to be able to engage with some of these people through social media, such as twitter. However there is still a lot that needs to be done to ensure that in bigger agencies, the disability model is just as recognised as the medical model.

Whilst we as OTs are a small(ish) minority of health and social care, we have loud and passionate voices and we need to ensure that they are heard, especially with the changes to the NHS happening quickly around us!

:)

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely - and I think it's great that your eyes are already open to it as you're graduating. I met so many new graduates who landed in the NHS with a great bump and then really struggled to see the value of OT in acute settings. If you go in with your eyes open to the imperfection then you'll be in a better place to start making some of that change :)

    ReplyDelete